Reality Conditions

Friday, December 21, 2007

Finally Updating (Final Updating?)

You were probably wondering why I wasn't posting anything. Or more probably, you realized that I was busy with the business of getting the thesis finished. Or even more probably, you didn't wonder at all. Whatever. This post is the belated Update On My Life:
  • I not only finished the thesis (complete with quote and all) but also submitted it yesterday! Hooray! Now on to packing, because...
  • I am leaving in a couple of days for my usual Christmas/New Year Argentinian holiday, and returning to Nottingham on January 11th. But what will I do here if I finished my thesis already? Well, I will be busy enough...
  • Arranging the details for my moving away from Nottingham, which will happen on the 31st; those will be three stressful weeks for sure, until I finally leave for...
  • Marseille! I got an ESF grant for a 6-month research visit to Carlo Rovelli's group at Luminy. The idea is to collaborate with research done on the new spin foam models that have appeared this year, especially in studying their semiclassical limit. This will be my first foray into actual quantum gravity research (from my usual quantum field theory in curved space), and I'm expecting to learn a lot and also hopefully come outwith a better-formed judgement on the value of the "LQG approach". After this, in August, I will come back to Nottingham for my viva. And after that, nobody knows yet...

So those are the news on my life. Now the news on the blog. I will almost certainly not write anything during my holidays, as I barely have time for computer using between meeting everybody and stuff. Later in January I will probably be too busy and/or stressed with the moving to be in a mood for writing, and I also expect to be quite busy my first days in Marseille. So this blog is, quite likely, coming to a halt until mid-February or so. We'll see then if I feel like going on or not.

Don't be too surprised or upset. You have surely noticed that the frequency of posts has declined a lot in the last months, reflecting not merely being busy with the thesis but also being a bit tired of the whole blogging business. On the other hand, I am sure that several of my readers will want to know what's going on in Marseille, and it is possible my enthusiasm will return and they'll get the reports on seminars and discussions, along with the usual philosophical disquisitions, book reviews, and the other staples of this blog. In any case, if I take the decision of closing the blog for good, I will make one last post to let you know, I promise. So for now, au revoir!

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • Hi Alejandro:

    Congrats on finishing the thesis! I am looking forward to your reports from Marseille. Have a great holiday,

    B.

    By Blogger Sabine Hossenfelder, at 6:31 PM, December 22, 2007  

  • What thesis quote did you finally choose?

    Congratulations on the ESF fellowship and the coming time at Luminy.

    --Marcus

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:42 AM, December 27, 2007  

  • Thanks to both!

    I used a slightly different selection of the Russell quote, putting it after a very contrasting Newton quote, in this way:


    "All these things being onsider'd, it seems probable to me, that God in the Beginning form'd Matter in solid, massy, hard, impenetrable Particles, of such Sizes and Figures, and with such other Properties, and in such Proportion to Space, as most conduced to the End for which he form'd them; and that these primitive Particles being Solids, are incomparably harder than any porous Bodies compounded of them; even so very hard, as never to wear or break in pieces; no ordinary Power being able to divide what God himself made one in the first Creation."

    Isaac Newton, Opticks


    "What do we mean by 'a piece of matter' in this statement? We do not mean something that preserves a simple identity throughout its history, nor do we mean something hard and solid, nor even a hypothetical thing-in-itself known only through its effects. We mean the 'effects' themselves, only that we no longer invoke an unkowable cause for them (…) 'Matter' is a convenient formula for describing what happens where it isn't."

    Bertrand Russell, An Outline of Philosophy


    I just love those apostrophes and capitals in Newton´s English.

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 3:41 PM, December 28, 2007  

  • Good luck for your winter travels and the Marseille stay. Luminy is a fantastic place to be - both mathematically and in terms of surroundings (I met my first wild boar there). I am sure you'll like it,
    Adam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:45 PM, January 02, 2008  

  • Thanks!

    mmmmm, wild boar... makes me think of Asterix...

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 1:01 PM, January 02, 2008  

  • Alejandro - congrats on finishing the thesis. Roughly where did you stay in Argentina? Make sure to take Obelix with you lest you encounter wild boars (or at least some magic potion)...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:21 PM, January 07, 2008  

  • Thanks Changcho. I am staying at my mother's place, in the barrio of Colegiales, Buenos Aires.

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 4:12 PM, January 08, 2008  

  • Thanks so much for the post, quite helpful piece of writing.
    cheap car insurance for young drivers | coverdell esa 2011 | top mba programs in california

    By Anonymous Jarod, at 11:10 AM, October 13, 2011  

  • Gosh, there is a great deal of worthwhile material above!
    lemon trees | how to have sex | ball joint

    By Anonymous Johnathan, at 9:57 PM, November 23, 2011  

  • Thanks so much for this post, really helpful material.
    hair wraps | crotchless pantyhose | where is Niagara Falls

    By Anonymous Jeffrey, at 11:04 AM, December 17, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
/body>