Reality Conditions

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Loops 07: pics and links

I am adamant in my decision of not writing physics posts while on holiday, so the report about the talks will have to wait. But my self-imposed ban does not cover pictures and links about the conference:



The cathedral of Morelia, just a block away from the university centre were the conference was.

























Ileana and her unicorn-shaped balloon.



Frank expresses his ignorance -of what, I don't know.






Cecilia "la Madonna" Fiori.

Bee has already posted on the conference, including a photo of yours truly. My detailed report will start coming in about one week. Meanwhile you can see the slides and audio of many of the talks clicking around from here. My slides are not there yet (I used transparencies and didn't get around to scan them yet). Tangentially related is this Cosmic Variance post, on a subject that fascinates me and that came up during the conference. More on this later.

6 Comments:

  • From the pictures I suspect you're using a Mac to process and post them. While they may look good on a Mac they look dark on Windows machines. This is a well-know thing - Mac driven monitors have a different 'gamma' than Windows. Try to brighten up your pic by 10% for the large universe of Windows viewers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:45 PM, July 09, 2007  

  • I'm glad you saw Catedral and the sights. I was in Morelia one summer, and it has some lovely colonial architecture.

    By Blogger Brandon, at 6:15 PM, July 10, 2007  

  • Yidun also has a post about the Loops, see

    http://www.wanyidun.com/blog_r2u/?p=132

    By Blogger Sabine Hossenfelder, at 7:58 PM, July 10, 2007  

  • Anonymous: You are wrong, I am using Windows. But the idea of brightening the pictures a bit may be worth trying anyway, at least for some of them.

    Brandon: The Cathedral was rather difficult to miss, but sadly I didn´t see as much of the rest of the city as I would have liked to. On the only free afternoon we made a trip to the Tzintuzntzan ruins and the village of Patzcuaro -both were nice, but I feel I have missed a lot in Mexico. I especially regret not having stayed for an extra day or two in the capital.

    Bee: Thanks for the link. I've had very little time for internetting these days (a hectic race to see friends, relatives and old teachers and co-workers) and I had missed Yidun's post completely.

    Yesterday, amazingly, it snowed in Buenos Aires for the first time since 1918. Just wanted to say it.

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 6:36 AM, July 11, 2007  

  • W.r.t. your last sentence there...did you see this?

    http://www.buenosairesnevado.clarin.com/

    Cheers,

    changcho

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:10 PM, July 20, 2007  

  • Hi Changcho, thanks for the link, but fortunately I was there so I need not look longingly at the pictures :).

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 10:45 PM, July 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
/body>